One of the best ways to put home burglary related crimes into perspective is to look at the numbers. These numbers aren’t mean to scare you. Instead, look at these stats as a tool to better see your neighborhood. Don’t live under a false idea that your neighborhood is “Safe”.
Kansas City, Missouri 
Rough Population: 459,787 people Land Area: 319 square miles
In 2011 in the Kansas City area alone there were:
6,466 Home Burglary Cases
3,356 Vehicles Stolen
4,298 Cases of Vandalism
Source: Kansas City Missouri Police Department
About 538 per month
About 124 per week
About 17 per day
About 279 per month
About 64 per week
About 9 per day
About 358 per month
About 82 per week
About 11 per day
National Statistics are also available for customers outside of Kansas City. According to FBI statistics available online, home burglaries happen every 13-15 seconds in the United States.
What Burglars Steal Most Often
- Loose Cash
- Laptop Computers
- Small Electronics
Getting serious about home security usually happens after a home burglary or home-invasion happens close to the home. Why are most homeowners reactive instead of proactive? Most people are only aware of what happens on their own street during the times they are physically at the house. Also many homeowners work full-time jobs. That’s 40 hours of time per week unaccounted for! Combine that with the fact that most people work the day shift which is prime-time for home burglary crimes. The question is: How do we stay in the loop on crimes in our neighborhood?
CrimeReports.com is a great FREE online tool to help you keep track of the crime in your area. Enter your address or zip code into the search bar to see localized crime reports in the locations they happened in. Some other great features include email alerts when crimes happen in your neighborhood or other specified area, convicted sex offender locations, and you can even send an anonymous tip about a crime. Many local law enforcement agencies use CrimeReports.com on a regular basis and the reports you see there are released from them directly.
If you are in the Kansas City area and would like a tailored, on-site security assessment of your home or business, give us a call today!
Did you know…
- 79.8% of 911 calls are from Cell Phones in Kansas City. Carry your cell phone!
- The City-Wide police reaction time to priority 1 emergency calls is 7.65 minutes.
- The City-Wide police reaction time to priority 2 emergency calls is 9.48 minutes.
- 87% of all home burglaries are considered preventable. Contact your local locksmith to find out more on burglary prevention.
- 88% of all crime is residential in nature.
- A burglary usually happens in daytime hours while the owner is away. Look into getting a monitored alarm system.
- Most burglaries are crimes of opportunity. Remember to lock your doors and windows!
- Renters are more likely to be the victims of property crime than homeowners.
- The highest percentage of burglaries occur during the summer months.
- 1 out of 3 residential assaults are a result of a home burglary.
- Burglars usually use simple tools such as screwdrivers, pliers, small hammers and pry bars.
- On average, a burglary results in a dollar loss of about $1,600.
- Only 13 percent of reported burglary cases are solved, or “cleared,” by the police.
Home burglary is nothing to take lightly.